August 14, 2015
Everything You Need To Know About Co-Washing
The latest trend in hair care has actually been around for a long time. Co-Washing (short for Conditioner Only Washing) means skipping traditional shampoo and using a specially formulated conditioner that both cleanses and conditions the hair. Barberia Salon has worked with the top hair care chemists to custom formulate a Co-Wash that is now available! There are several benefits to Co-washing:
- Co-Washing helps prolong your color. Extremely color safe, co-wash preserves color vibrancy longer than traditional cleansing (even with color-safe shampoo).
- Awesome second day hair on the first day, and every day. Most people love the way their hair looks and feels a day or two after washing. It is easier to style, less frizz, less fly-aways, smoother and softer. Co-Washing leaves hair like this from day one.
- Softer, healthier hair: Co-Washing removes impurities while allowing your scalp and hair’s natural oils to remain, resulting in softer, healthier hair. You will be shocked at how light and airy your hair feels after co-washing.
- Balanced scalp: Once you have converted to Co-Washing, your scalp adjust and oil production will balance out. This is beneficial for both oily and dry scalp/hair types. A balanced scalp will not over-produce or under-produce natural oils. So oilier heads will become less so, and dryer heads will get the moisture it needs.
- Barberia Salon Co-Wash uses natural extracts from thyme and witch hazel to purify and sunflower seed extracts to moisturize. It is gluten, salt and sulfate free & not tested on animals.
Co-Wash contains trace detergents called cationic surfactants, or “quats” for short (behentrimonium chloride.) When mixed with water, the quats pick up tiny amounts of dirt, leaving co-washed hair feeling clean – but not squeaky clean. At the same time, the conditioner hydrates and moisturizes while protecting hair. Co-Wash lets your natural oils stay put under your scalp’s surface, where they belong… but removes surface dirt, products and oil. The result allows your natural oils to do their thing which is to moisturize, protect, strengthen and balance your hair and scalp.
Who Can Use Co-Wash
All hair types with healthy scalps including color-processed hair. Co-washing has been used for ages on curly, wavy and medium to thick hair, and these types will see amazing results in softness and manageability. But fine hair/ straight hair can also see benefits, and may need a more gradual transition and to continue to be alternated with a deep cleansing shampoo every 2 weeks. Excessively oily scalps, or those with dermatitis or bad dandruff should steer clear and stick to their medicated regime as Co-wash does not treat scalp problems.
Ready, Set, Co-Wash
- Fully saturate your hair and scalp with water until soaking wet.
- Apply a generous amount of co-wash into palm of hand, up to a golf ball size amount for extra thick/long hair. This may seem like a lot, but don’t forget that you’re cleansing, not just conditioning.
- Massage Co-Wash into the scalp and work your way down the hair shaft to the ends. Apply more if needed.
- Allow Co-Wash to be absorbed for three to five minutes; longer if hair is especially dry or damaged. Detangle hair.
- Rinse out well, again working through the hair from root to tip.
CURLY, THICK, WAVY OR COARSE HAIR: Co-wash works wonders on curly, wavy thick and/ or coarse hair since it naturally lacks moisture. Co-Wash your hair every 3-5 days, as needed.
FINE, STRAIGHT, LIGHTLY WAVY, OR LIMP HAIR: Try alternating first, then transition to just co-washing every other day or, if you can, every 3 days (many straight and curly haired heads that are fine but have a lot of hair can get away with Co-Washing every third day). For oilier scalps and during the summer, use a deep cleansing shampoo every 2 weeks or so.
Want to try C0-Washing? We use it at the shampoo bowl! Ask your stylist to prep your hair before your next appointment.